Hanover Pinto Beans, Refried Beans
- Cook Top
- Food Processor/ Blender
- Cutting Board
- 2 cans 16 ounces each Hanover Pinto Beans rinsed and drained, or 3 cups cooked pinto beans
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup finely chopped yellow or white onion (about ½ small onion)
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 cloves garlic , pressed or minced
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ cup water
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lime juice about ½ medium lime, to taste
- 1. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, warm the olive oil until shimmering. Add the onions and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions have softened and are turning translucent, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- 2. Add the garlic, chili powder and cumin. Cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant,about 30 seconds. Pour in the drained beans and water. Stir, cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- 3. Reduce the heat to low and remove the lid. Use a potato masher or the back of a fork to mash up about at least half of the beans, until you reach your desired consistency. Continue to cook the beans, uncovered, stirring often, for 3 more minutes.
- 4. Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the cilantro and lime juice. Taste, and add more salt and lime juice if necessary. If the beans seem dry, add a very small splash of water and stir to combine. Cover until you’re ready to serve.